The Fernald Club was founded in 1925 to further the study of insects at the Massachusetts Agricultural College, now the University of Massachusetts Amherst. We are located in historic Fernald Hall, which was constructed in 1910 as the Entomology and Zoology Building.

Both Fernald Hall and the Fernald Club are named after Charles Henry Fernald (1838-1921). Charles Fernald joined the faculty of the Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1886 as Professor of Zoology, and had a long and accomplished career in entomology at the College.

Photo: University of Massachusetts Amherst Physical Plant

Photo: Special Collections and University Archives, University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries

Publications and Documents

The Fernald Club Yearbook was published annually to report on the activities and achievements of the Entomology Department at UMass Amherst. Several historical yearbooks and other publications of the former Entomology Department have now been digitized.